To remind how to use a cool tool named tmux…
Beside the following features the tmux program provides, there are many more.
- Windows can be moved between session and even linked to multiple sessions
- Windows can be split horizontally and vertically into panes
- Support for UTF-8 and 256 colour terminals
- Sessions can be controlled from the shell without the need to enter a session
A Basic Usage
- ssh into the remote machine
- start tmux by typing
tmuxinto the shell
- start the process you want inside the started tmux session
- leave/detach the tmux session by typing
- now, you can safely logoff from the remote machine, your process will keep running inside tmux
After some time…
- log back again
tmux attachto attach to the current tmux session
Multiple sessions? No problem…
- running side-by-side you should name each session using
- to get the list of the currently running sessions using
Ctrl-b to normally navigate/scroll using the keys (eg. Up/Down Arrows or PgUp/PgDn).
q to quit scroll mode.